|breaking news (突發的新聞) || broken bike (壞掉的腳踏車)|
|sleeping baby (熟睡的嬰兒)|| burnt toast (燒焦的土司)|
一般字典都會列出動詞的分詞形式，我們舉 write (寫) 、talk (講, 說) 和 teach (教, 講授) 為例：
|write || v. wrote, writ·ten, writ·ing, writes |
|talk || v. talked, talk·ing, talks |
|teach || v. taught, teach·ing, teach·es |
藉由助動詞 Be 與現在分詞形成進行式
Be + 現在分詞 = 進行式
|現在 || am/are/is taking || have/has been taking|
|過去 || was/were taking || had been taking|
|未來 || shall/will be taking || shall/will have been taking|
藉由助動詞 Have 與過去分詞形成完成式
Have 動詞 + 過去分詞 = 完成式
|現在完成式 || have/has taken |
|過去完成式 || had taken |
|未來完成式 || shall/will have taken|
過去分詞還有一種特殊功能，前面加上助動詞 Be 可以形成被動語態。
My room was cleaned yesterday.
He has already written a letter. （完成式主動語態）
A letter has already been written by him. （完成式被動語態）
- She is totally confused （confuse).
- The girl sat crying (cry) on the sofa.
- I am interested (interest) in seeing that movie.
- This movie is really exciting (excite).
- Their marriage was broken (break) up.
- She left the house whistling (whistle).
- He seems to be depressed (depress) lately.
- The bicycle ridden (ride) by the young kid is mine.
- I was very much surprised (surprise) to hear that news.
- His statements are encouraging (encourage).
基本1200個字詞裡有兩個字："bored" 與 "boring"，它們是取自於動詞 "bore(使厭煩)" 的「過去分詞」和「現在分詞」。教育部為什麼不列原式"bore"，而列它的「過去分詞」和「現在分詞」呢？應該是要同學們能夠區別 "bored" 與"boring" 的不同用法。句子 “I am bored.” 和 “I am boring.” 意義大不相同，使用不當就會鬧笑話。
The lesson was boring, so I felt bored.
|無聊、沒趣 || bored || boring|
|有興趣 || interested || interesting |
|失意沮喪 || frustrated || frustrating |
|興奮 || excited || exciting |
|困惑 || confused || confusing|
|受驚、害怕 || frightened || frightening|
|氣惱 || annoyed || annoying|
|驚喜 || suprised || suprising |
|著迷 || fascinated || fascinating |
|失望 ||disappointed ||disappointing|
|極為震驚 || devastated || devastating|
一般而言，上表現在分詞部分通常是在描述對於某人或某事是怎樣的，而過去分詞則是表示自己或他人（會有感覺的, 一定是人, 而非事物）的感受。因此，“I am bored.” 我感到無聊。而“I am boring.”則變成我是枯燥無味的。要是在眾人面前講"I am boring.",大概有人會瞪大眼睛看著你。
He is a depressed person.
他是一個抑鬱的人。 （主詞 He ，他自己感到抑鬱）
He is a depressing person.
I am interested in Mathematics.
我對數學極感興趣。（主詞 I ，我自己的感受）
Am I an interesting person?
- That was an interesting (interesting, interested) book.
- Ashley didn't seem interested (interesting, interested) in the book.
- The movie was so boring (boring, bored) that Jennifer fell asleep.
- Do you think Frank is a boring (boring, bored) person?
- My neighbors are very annoying (annoying, annoyed) because they always play loud music.
- She was annoyed (annoyed, annoying) to discover that her husband had cheaten on her.
- Greg has a very annoying (annoying, annoyed) habit.
- We were all confused (confused, confusing) about what the teacher wanted.
- Many of the traffic signs in Taipei are confusing (confused, confusing).
- I'm confused (confused, confusing) about all politics in general.
- I was surprised (surprised, surprising) to find money in my pocket.
- Adam was excited (excited, exciting) to see the show for the first time.
- I was devastated (devastated, devastating) to hear about the earthquake in Japan. I have a lot of friends who live there.
- We were deeply disappointed (disappointed, disappointing) at the result.
- It was disappointing (disappointing, disappointed) to learn that I didn’t get a good grade.