當你渴望來個戶外活動，卻碰上雨下個不停，這時不妨唱首兒歌 Rain rain go away 來舒解苦惱。
我們稱 go away 為片語動詞，它是動詞 "go" 與副詞“away”所形成。 這片語動詞 go away 的意義可以由個別單字 go 和 away 猜出它是走開、離開的意思。
有些由「動詞+副詞」所形成的片語動詞，其意義與個別單字的動詞或副詞卻迥然不同。例如 give up：
Students should give up their seats to an elderly when they ride a bus.
片語動詞： "動詞+副詞" 的副詞經常也是個介系詞，如上例 up，有文法書稱之為介副詞 (Particles)。
We don't need these chairs. You can take them away.
We don't need these chairs. You can take away them. (錯誤的句子)
The pain went away because I had _______.
(A) taken some medicine (B) drunk a lot of coffee (C) played video game the whole night
She ran _______ when she was 15.
(A) outside (B) away (C) out (D) off
片語動詞範例 — (動詞 + 副詞)
|blow up || 爆炸 || back down || 打退堂鼓|
|break in || 非法闖入 || break down || 故障|
|call on || 拜訪 || carry out || 執行 |
|call off ||取消 || take off || 脫下;起飛|
|come off || 成功 || fall through || 失敗|
|fill up || 加滿 || give away || 捐贈|
|grow up || 長大 || hang up || 掛上|
|look up || 查看 || carry on || 繼續|
|pass away || 過逝 || pay off || 清償債務|
|point out || 指出 || put off || 延期|
|turn on || 打開 || turn off || 關掉|
|turn up || 轉大聲 || turn down || 轉小聲; 拒絕 |
|throw away || 丟棄 || wake up || 醒來|
|wear out || 穿破 || write down || 把...寫下|
He has decided to carry on his father's business.
She's terribly upset because her mother passed away last night.
I write down everything I need to remember, then I try to remember where I put the darn sheet of paper.
- He thinks he's so fantastic. That's why he looks up on me.
- He thinks he's so fantastic. That's why he looks down on me.
- I hope things will start to look down in the coming weeks.
- I hope things will start to look up in the coming weeks.
- Judy and Edward had a fight last week and they broke down with each other.
- Judy and Edward had a fight last week and they broke up with each other.
- Judy and Edward had a fight last week, but they've made off with each other now.
- Judy and Edward had a fight last week, but they've made up with each other now.
- What do you want to do when you grow on?
- What do you want to do when you grow up?