關係子句 (Relative Clauses)
關係子句係由關係代名詞(who, whom, whose, witch, that)或關係副詞(when, where, why)所引導的形容詞子句。
Jane has a teacher whom she respects.
I like the watch that my father gave me.
I remember the day when we first met.
That was another reason why I thought this could end really bad.
I have an aunt who teaches English at my school.
He has a dog which barks loudly at night.
限定性關係子句用來限定或修飾先行詞，前面通常不加逗號(,)。who, whom, whose, which, that 均可用於限定性的關係子句。限定性關係子句含有句子的重要信息，拿掉限定性關係子句，句子的意義會有重大的改變。
I like the paintings.
I like the paintings that hang in our living room.
非限定性關係子句用來補充或附加說明先行詞，前面通常有逗號(,)。拿掉非限定性關係子句，句子的意義不會有重大的改變。非限定性的關係代名詞不能省略。關係代名詞 that 不能用於非限定性的關係子句。
Teresa, who is good at English, is thinking about starting a cram school.
The article, which appeared today in Taipei Times, is very interesting.
- His girlfriend, that is an excellent cook, is thinking about opening a restaurant.
- His girlfriend, who is an excellent cook, is thinking about opening a restaurant.
非限定性關係子句使用 "of whom"， "of whose" 或 "of which"
Andy has two sisters. Both of them are teachers.
Andy has two sisters, both of whom are teachers.
- Mike 有兩個哥哥，他們兩人都為政府工作。
- Mike has two brothers, both of them work for the government.
- Mike has two brothers, both of whom work for the government.
There are many students in this classroom. Some of their mothers are from Southeast Asia.
There are many students in this classroom, some of whose mothers are from Southeast Asia.
I read three books last week. None of them were enjoyable.
I read three books last week, none of which were enjoyable.
Elected in a landslide in January, Tsai is the island’s first female leader, and only its second from the Democratic Progressive Party – many of whose members advocate formal independence from China.
元月壓倒性的勝選，蔡是島上第一位女性領導人，也是僅有的第二位來自民進黨 – 許多它的成員主張從中國正式獨立。
- The team, many of their players come from southern Taiwan, won the championship this year.
- The team, many of whose players come from southern Taiwan, won the championship this year.
- Beijing’s pursuit of sovereignty over the islands of the South China Sea, most of them are also claimed by other countries, has flung China’s neighbors into the arms of the United States.
- Beijing’s pursuit of sovereignty over the islands of the South China Sea, most of which are also claimed by other countries, has flung China’s neighbors into the arms of the United States.